Friday, February 16, 2007

I broke the house!

There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything I'd like to do, including keep a more consistent journal on this blog. Sometimes I wish I could either add hours to the day or sleep less or something! Don't we all!!!

I am doing very well though, just busy as ever. Trying to keep up with working out and being a mommy and wife and missionary and cook and maid and driver and friend and on and on, takes so much! But I really enjoy the life the Lord has given us.

I broke the garage door this week though! When we bought this house our favorite thing was the garage door and the fact that is was remote control, not so common a thing in Japan. We splurged a little on it, when remodeling, in order to have the luxury of not opening the door by hand in the rain and so forth. And my biggest fear has been messing it up, since it was so expensive! Well, I finally did it this week, or should I say it finally HAPPENED. It was sort of my fault and sort of not. I was driving away and I heard the sound of something metal fall. It had been a very windy night and I was leaving early in the morning. When I heard the sound, I look all around the car and couldn't see that I hit anything or that anything in the garage was out of place. As I backed out further in to the street I could see that the were lots of things strewn in the street because of the strong winds, so assumed the metal noise I had heard had come from the street. I hit the garage door button and drove off. Well it turns out that a couple of pieces of metal that had been resting against the wall near the garage door had been knocked over by the wind. And one of them just so happened to fall right into the door railing. So as the garage door came down and hit the piece of metal on one side at the railing, it kept going down on the opposite side only and the whole thing buckled and bent. It was a mess. I was a mess when I found out. I felt so horrible. WHY didn't I get OUT OF THE CAR AND CHECK! If I'd just done that, I'd saved us from this huge headache and who knows how much money. Rocky says when the door finally stopped, the whole house shook and it woke him up! I told him, "I broke the house!" He just laughed. I just knew the whole door was going to have to be replaced and it was going to cost us a thousand or more dollars! I was just SICK the whole day and into the next until a mechanic came to check it. He fixed it! Somehow? I don't know how, but he did, PRAISE GOD! We don't know yet how much they are going to bill us, but hey, it can't be a thousand dollars. He was only out there for like 30 minutes. He banged on some spots, cut away a few bent pieces, and somehow got it all working just like new again! I was so shocked and so thankful! Now I don't ever want to drive away until I have seen the door go safely all the way down! ugh

I always thought Rocky would be the one to break something important in the house! hahaha! He has the gift of breaking things. Really, he'll be the first to admit it. He just picks things up to look at them and they break! But no, it was me! I did it. Maybe my husband's "gift of breaking things" is rubbing off on me! (Sugarpie, when you read this, know that I think your talent for breaking stuff is funny and cute! Well, most of the time I think so... at any rate, you're so precious to me!!! hehehe)

No comments: