Sunday, June 29, 2008

Can't sleep...

So I am drinking a cup of this...


and unfortunately eating one of these...


*sigh*

It has just been a strange day. The first day in I don't know long, where we were able to take it easy and it was hard to make myself just chill out. I am also pretty restless cause I chopped my hair off yesterday. I wanted it short, and I wanted to donate my hair to locksoflove.org, but it is just suddenly GONE and it feels weird. I don't recognize myself when I see my reflection. it is just going to take some getting used to.

And then on the way over to have dinner at our friends house, Rocky bit his tongue. Not a strange thing, especially for him, he kinda does that quite a bit actually. But four hours later it was still bleeding and he was getting dizzy. So we decided to head home, get our insurance card and go to an emergency room, since that is all you can do late on a Saturday night. I could feel the tension building as we left our friends house. What to do with Hana? How long will the ER take? When will we finally get back to Hana and get home if we leave her somewhere? What if he needs stitches? OUCH! What if they can't make it stop bleeding or some other underlying cause is there and they'll discover something else is the reason he can't stop bleeding? Why do I always let my mind run away with thoughts like this?

Needless to say, by the time we got home to get the insurance card I was really stressing. And yet, the bleeding had finally begun to subside. And we decided to stay at home, and see if it would stop completely. It did, within like five minutes (thank you Lord). But my wound up nerves WON'T stop! My new bedtime of 10pm... well I finally made it to bed at 10:45. Yet it is after midnight and I am still awake. I decided to come downstairs and get a cup of some kind of relaxing tea and unwind a little.

I know, staring at a bright computer screen is not exactly going to make me get sleepy. But what else would I do in a quiet house, late on Saturday night.

My tea is still too hot to drink...

So, my hair. Yep, I chopped it. I wanted to donate it to an organization that makes wigs for sick children who need them. I measured the required 10 inches and thought it would come to about right above my shoulders, and I was happy with that. That long hair was going to make me miserable this summer. So off I went. ONly one problem. I have increasingly found it impossible to communicate what I want to a hair stylist in Japan. WHY do I always forget that no matter what I say they don't listen to me and they just cut it however they want to. He insisted that he couldn't pull it all together in the back and cut it at the nape of my neck, he had to separate it into four ponytails around my head and cut it seperately. He cut the sides about 4 inches shorter than the back. I was shocked when I saw him do it? And right before he cut, I told him that the hair band was high up there, and he could cut less on the sides, the 10 inches only had to be measuring from the middle in the back. He assured me he understood, and CHOP! I am sure my Japanese must have been unclear? right?

Oh well, I don't hate it. It is much shorter than I wanted it, but it will grow. Hair grows. It is nothing to be upset about. And yet I can't stop replaying it in my mind and asking myself, why didn't I INSIST that he pull it into one ponytail in the back and cut it? It's probably going to take me at least 6 months to get the sides caught up with the back. And then the back'll have to be cut short again to even it out with the sides. How will I ever explain to him what kind of style I want then? I don't know if I'll ever trust him to cut my hair again until it is much past my shoulders. I have him well trained in how to cut my hair when it is long...

oh well, it is done. And really, I don't hate it. It is just going to take some getting used to.

Note to self...
IF you ever do this again, cut it yourself first and then go to the salon to get it styled.

OR do it while you are in American so Mom can cut it! She listens to you!

OR just don't ever do this again...

cause even though I really don't hate it (how many times have I said that now) I don't really adore it either.

The problem is, I always envy cute short hair cuts. I want my hair to look like that, be that simple, be that light and cool.

One more note to self...

YOUR hair is thicker than a horse's mane Marla, REMEMBER! It will never look that cute short.
And YOUR hair is naturally wavy-gag-me-with-a-spoon-frizzy, which means in humid Japan, short is not fun!

Thanks self, so noted!

So there you have it. I'm done thinking about it. I am done replaying it in my mind. I am done letting it stress me. It will grow.

My hubby is lying in bed upstairs, snoring away, not bleeding anymore. and my hair is fine, it is short and simple and that is what I wanted.

That's that. My tea is now at a great temperature to drink. I will drink it and hopefully go to bed to go to SLEEP...

good night

No comments: